Saturday, August 23, 2014

Barre3 - A Blend of Ballet Pilates and Yoga

Barre3 (pronounced - bar) was recommended by one of my Calorie Count friends.  If you are a CalorieCount.about.com member, look up The1UniversalLove.  She lost over 50 pounds but found that she lacked the shape or muscle tone and started the Barre3 28 day challenge.  The pictures of her before and after Barre3 challenge are on her profile, and they are impressive.    I need some impressive results!  OK, maybe I just want some impressive results.  It was worth a shot.

Barre3 is a combination of concentrated ballet moves done at a bar ( for the purposes of the home exercisers, a standard chair), with some pilates and yoga moves and breathing thrown in.   It is low impact and high intensity with three trainers on screen for variety of levels to follow.  The set of 5 DVD's come with a Barre ball - small rubber exercise ball, and a booklet with a 28 day workout schedule and recipes.  I bought my set from QVC for about $45 with shipping.  You need to provide a yoga mat, some small hand weights, and a chair with a hip height back.  Part of the 28 day program includes a day when you can pick a workout from their website.  It gives you a free 15 day trial of their site, which normally runs about $15 per month or as low as $10 per month if you pay for a whole year.  I chose not to create a login and do the trial sign up because I don't need the hassle of trying to remember to cancel it after the free period.  It all seems unnecessary and you can just repeat another video.


I am currently about half way through the challenge, on day 15.  I have found that the exercises are, for the most part, very easy.  I must preface this review with the fact that I had been doing a harder Barre type exercise in the month prior and routinely do 50-100 squats before going to bed.  The video talks frequently about the Barre shakes or quakes, which is the muscles trembling from being taxed.  I have only had the quakes a on a few exercises.  I am currently trying to refine my awkward form and extend the squats and lunges further.  I think if you have any ballet experience, you may be a lot more graceful than I am.  Maybe doing the move less herky-jerky is harder?   The one thing I noticed is that when the exercised are done on the toes, my calves burn like there is no tomorrow.  However, I qualify my burn with the fact that I have humungous calves....disproportionately huge... freaky Popeye huge.  So that may be the cause of my calf pain... which apparently is a good thing per the instructors.  I think if you are a person that has problems doing about 20 squats at a time, this would be a good, low impact exercise program.  I like the fact that the trainers state that the exercises can be done at the kitchen counter and other such places on a whim.  Count on me doing some butt shaping leg lifts while browning the hamburger meat.  I am continuing with the 28 day challenge and will let you know if my butt goes up and my weight goes down!

No comments:

Post a Comment